Monday, May 10, 2010

FRAZETTA R.I.P.

I first encountered Frank Frazetta's art in the mid seventies. It was an article in AMERICAN ARTIST magazine.

The article introduced me to the DEATH DEALER, SILVER WARRIOR and CONAN - a whole new way of looking at art and illustration.
It was so far removed from my surroundings, Fort Myers, Florida - a small southern town with no great galleries, most of the art were of pastel beach scenes or touristy pink flamingoes.

The article and his art books were a great escape, but I never met the man. He was up north, far away; painting for the big city publishers.

Years passed and I moved to New York and pursued the path that his work introduced me to.

I just read the AP obituary and Frazetta died... in Fort Myers, Florida.

1 comment:

B A D said...

I feel sorry for you. I didn't know his art shame on me.